Overview Symptoms mild symptoms severe symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care hives itching rashes warning signs Prevention
Prevention strategies for someone with an allergy include:
- Do not use a vacuum indoors:
- Ask someone else in your household to vacuum.
- Use a dust mask if you must vacuum.
- Avoid food color.
- Avoid foods that cause allergic reactions
- Carry an epinephrine syringe:
- Learn to use the syringe for severe allergic reactions.
- Carry antihistamine medications.
- Clean heating and cooling ducts in the house.
- Do not use aerosols or spray cleaners in the bedroom.
- Install allergy filters in the heating and cooling system:
- Change them once per month.
- Place plastic covers over mattresses and pillows.
- Remove carpeting.
- Remove stuffed furniture and stuffed animals from the bedroom.
- Use a dehumidifier to keep humidity below 50 percent.
- Wash all bed linens in hot water every week.
- Wear an alert bracelet that identifies your allergies.