Allergic to Milk Treatment
The treatment for lactose intolerance usually includes avoiding milk, dairy products, and foods that contain lactose. Additional treatment for lactose intolerance may include calcium supplements and lactase enzyme supplements.
The treatment options for lactose intolerance include:
- Avoid dairy products.
- Prehydrolyzed milk (Lactaid) is available and is effective.
- Yogurt is better tolerated than regular milk
- Soy based mild is well tolerated
- Avoid foods that contain lactose.
- Calcium supplements
- Lactase enzyme for lactose intolerance:
- Lactase enzymes (LACTAID, Dairy Ease, Lactrase)
Allergic to Milk Infants
Allergic to Milk Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for lactose intolerance.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Allergic to Milk Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat lactose intolerance:
Continue to Allergic to Milk Home Care
- Lovelace HY, Barr SI. Diagnosis, symptoms, and calcium intakes of individuals with self-reported lactose intolerance. J Am Coll Nutr. 2005 Feb;24(1):51-7. 
- Suarez FL, Savaiano DA, Levitt MD. Review article: the treatment of lactose intolerance. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1995 Dec;9(6):589-97. 
- Swagerty DL Jr, Walling AD, Klein RM. Lactose intolerance. Am Fam Physician. 2002 May 1;65(9):1845-50.