Allergic Reactions Prevention
Prevention of allergic reactions includes:
- Do not use a vacuum indoors:
- Ask someone else in your household to vacuum.
- Use a dust mask if you must vacuum.
- Avoid food color.
- Avoid foods that cause allergic reactions
- Carry an epinephrine syringe:
- Learn to use the syringe for severe allergic reactions.
- Carry antihistamine medications.
- Clean heating and cooling ducts in the house.
- Do not use aerosols or spray cleaners in the bedroom.
- Install allergy filters in the heating and cooling system:
- Change them once per month.
- Place plastic covers over mattresses and pillows.
- Remove carpeting.
- Remove stuffed furniture and stuffed animals from the bedroom.
- Use a dehumidifier to keep humidity below 50 percent.
- Wash all bed linens in hot water every week.
- Wear an alert bracelet that identifies your allergies.
Allergic Reactions Food Avoidance
Common foods that cause allergic reactions include:
Allergic Reactions Avoiding Corn
Foods to avoid if you have a corn allergy:
- Corn starch
- Corn sugar
- Corn flour
Allergic Reactions Avoiding Eggs
Foods and substances to avoid if you have an egg allergy:
Allergic Reactions Avoiding Peanuts
Foods to avoid if you have a peanut allergy:
- Cold pressed peanut oil
- Mixed nuts
- Peanut flour
- Candy that contains peanut oil
Allergic Reactions Avoiding Soy
Foods to avoid if you have a soy allergy:
- Soy flour
- Soy nuts
- Soy protein
- Soy protein isolate
- Soy sauce
- Textured vegetable protein
Foods to avoid if you have a soy protein allergy:
- Vegetable broth
- Vegetable gum
- Vegetable starch
Allergic Reactions Avoiding Wheat
Foods and substances to avoid if you have a wheat allergy:
- Cracked wheat
- Durum flour
- Enriched flour
- Graham flour
- High-gluten flour
- Wheat bran
- Wheat germ
- Wheat starch
Continue to Allergic Reactions Underlying Cause
- Arshad SH. Primary prevention of asthma and allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005 Jul;116(1):3-14. 
- Atkinson TP, Kaliner MA: Anaphylaxis. Med Clin North Am 1992 Jul; 76(4): 841-55. 
- Busse WW: Mechanisms and advances in allergic diseases. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000 Jun; 105(6 Pt 2): S593-8. 
- Nimmagadda SR, Evans R 3rd: Allergy: etiology and epidemiology. Pediatr Rev 1999 Apr; 20(4): 111-5. 
- Reisman RE: Insect stings. N Engl J Med 1994 Aug 25; 331(8): 523-7.