Alcoholic Nerve Damage Diet
A person with alcoholic polyneuropathy may benefit from the following diet.
Strategies for a healthy diet include:
- Limit your intake of fat to 30% of your total calories.
- 10% to 15% of your total calories should be in the form of monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil, canola oil and peanut oil.
- Consume only unsaturated fats that are low in cholesterol.
- Consume less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol a day.
- Eat dietary fiber: whole grains are best.
- Avoid fad diets.
- Check with your doctor about B vitamin supplements. Some people may benefit from B vitamins.
Key Dietary Recommendations for Chronic Disease Prevention
|Energy (calories)||to maintain BMI < 25|
|Total fats||< or = to 30% of total daily calories|
|Saturated fats||< 7% of total daily calories|
|Polyunsaturated fats||< 10% of total daily calories|
|Monounsaturated fats||< 13% of total daily calories|
|Cholesterol||< or = to 300 mg per day|
|Dietary fiber||25-30 grams per day|
|Fiber type||3:1 insoluble to soluble fiber|
|Sodium||< or = to 1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 9-24 yrs||1,200-1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 25-50 yrs||1,000 mg per day|
|Calcium 51-65 yrs||1,200 mg per day|
|Calcium >65 yrs||1,500 mg per day|
|Vitamin D 9-50 yrs||200 IU per day|
|Vitamin D 51-70 yrs||400 IU per day|
|Vitamin D >70 yrs||600 IU per day|
|Folic acid||400 micrograms (ug) per day|
|Fruits & vegetables||5-7 servings per day|
Continue to Alcoholic Nerve Damage Taking Control
- Avaria Mde L, Mills JL, Kleinsteuber K, Aros S, Conley MR, Cox C, Klebanoff M, Cassorla F. Peripheral nerve conduction abnormalities in children exposed to alcohol in utero. J Pediatr. 2004 Mar;144(3):338-43. 
- Diamond I, Messing RO. Neurologic effects of alcoholism. West J Med. 1994 Sep;161(3):279-87. 
- Koike H, Iijima M, Sugiura M, Mori K, Hattori N, Ito H, Hirayama M, Sobue G. Alcoholic neuropathy is clinicopathologically distinct from thiamine-deficiency neuropathy. Ann Neurol. 2003 Jul;54(1):19-29. 
- Oishi M, Mochizuki Y, Suzuki Y, Ogawa K, Naganuma T, Nishijo Y, Mizutani T. Current perception threshold and sympathetic skin response in diabetic and alcoholic polyneuropathies. Intern Med. 2002 Oct;41(10):819-22.