Alcoholic Encephalopathy Types
Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome involves two conditions.
The two types of Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome include:
- Wernicke's disease:
- Abnormal function of the brain and nerves
- Results in abnormal movement, coordination and balance
- Korsakoff syndrome:
With treatment, symptoms of Wernicke's disease resolve, but symptoms of Korsakoff syndrome remain.
- Day E, Bentham P, Callaghan R, Kuruvilla T, George S. Thiamine for Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome in people at risk from alcohol abuse. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(1):CD004033. 
- Jauhar P, Montaldi D. Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome and the use of brain imaging. Alcohol Alcohol Suppl. 2000 May-Jun;35(1):21-3. 
- Thomson AD. Mechanisms of vitamin deficiency in chronic alcohol misusers and the development of the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Alcohol Alcohol Suppl. 2000 May-Jun;35(1):2-7.