Alcoholic Cirrhosis Liver Disease Diet
It is important to follow a healthy diet at home if you have cirrhosis.
Liver disease diet includes:
- Low protein diet
- Restrict protein to 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day.
- Severe liver disease may require protein supplements.
- High carbohydrate diet
- This is the major source of calories for people with severe liver disease.
- Moderate fat intake
- The increased carbohydrate and fat help in preserving the protein in the body and prevent muscle wasting.
- Low salt diet
- Avoid foods that are rich in vitamin A
- Egg yolks
- Dairy products
- Fish oil
- No more than 2 grams per day.
- Vitamin B supplements
Continue to Alcoholic Cirrhosis Taking Control
- Levitsky J, Mailliard ME. Diagnosis and therapy of alcoholic liver disease. Semin Liver Dis. 2004 Aug;24(3):233-47. 
- Tome S, Lucey MR. Review article: current management of alcoholic liver disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Apr 1;19(7):707-14. 
- Wakim-Fleming J, Mullen KD. Long-term management of alcoholic liver disease. Clin Liver Dis. 2005 Feb;9(1):135-49. 
- Walsh K, Alexander G. Alcoholic liver disease. Postgrad Med J. 2000 May;76(895):280-6.