Alcoholic Cirrhosis Anatomy
To better understand cirrhosis, it helps to understand the anatomy of the liver.
The liver is located in the upper right abdomen. It is one of the largest organs in the body.
Functions of the liver include:
- Helps convert food into energy
- Helps digest food
- Removes toxins, such as alcohol, from the blood
- Regulates blood clotting
- Stores energy
- Stores iron
- Levitsky J, Mailliard ME. Diagnosis and therapy of alcoholic liver disease. Semin Liver Dis. 2004 Aug;24(3):233-47. 
- Tome S, Lucey MR. Review article: current management of alcoholic liver disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Apr 1;19(7):707-14. 
- Wakim-Fleming J, Mullen KD. Long-term management of alcoholic liver disease. Clin Liver Dis. 2005 Feb;9(1):135-49. 
- Walsh K, Alexander G. Alcoholic liver disease. Postgrad Med J. 2000 May;76(895):280-6.