Airway Foreign Body First Aid Adults
First aid may be required for an adult with an inhaled foreign body.
American Heart Association Conscious Victim Protocol:
- Ask, "Are you choking?" If they can talk, they are not choking.
- Give abdominal thrusts (use chest thrusts for pregnant or obese victim).
- Repeat thrusts until effective or victim becomes unconscious.
American Heart Association Unconscious Victim Protocol:
- Perform steps 1-3 above.
- Activate EMS system.
- Perform tongue-jaw lift. Perform a finger sweep if a foreign object is visible in the mouth.
- Open the airway (head tilt-chin lift) and try to ventilate; if still obstructed reposition the head and try to ventilate again.
- Give 5 abdominal thrusts
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 until effective
Continue to Airway Foreign Body First Aid Children