Adult Onset Diabetes Prevention
Prevention of type 2 diabetes includes:
- Avoiding obesity
- Follow an exercise plan developed with your doctor
- Eat a diet high in omega-3-fatty acids:
- Eat a healthy heart diet:
- Studies show that following a Mediterranean diet may cut the risk of developing diabetes in half. Elements of this diet include:
- Abundant use of olive oil for cooking and dressing.
- Increased consumption of fruit, vegetables, legumes, and fish
- Reduction in total meat consumption
- When eating meat, eating white meat and avoiding red meats and processed meats.
- Preparation of homemade sauce with tomato, garlic, onion.
- Use of olive oil to dress vegetables, pasta, rice, and other dishes.
- Avoidance of butter, cream, fast-food, sweets, pastries, and sugar-sweetened beverages.
- In alcohol drinkers, moderate consumption of red wine.
Prevention of long-term complications of type 2 diabetes includes:
- Strict control of blood glucose levels
- Use of statin medications for diabetes
- Use of ACE inhibitor medications for diabetes
- Regular eye examinations
- Daily aspirin therapy
- Weight loss
Continue to Adult Onset Diabetes Outlook
- Davis RE, Morrissey M, Peters JR, Wittrup-Jensen K, Kennedy-Martin T, Currie CJ. Impact of hypoglycaemia on quality of life and productivity in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Sep;21(9):1477-83. 
- Lebovitz HE. Type 2 diabetes: an overview. Clin Chem. 1999 Aug;45(8 Pt 2):1339-45. 
- Nagaya T, Yoshida H, Takahashi H, Kawai M. Increases in body mass index, even within non-obese levels, raise the risk for Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a follow-up study in a Japanese population. Diabet Med. 2005 Aug;22(8):1107-11. 
- Patja K, Jousilahti P, Hu G, Valle T, Qiao Q, Tuomilehto J. Effects of smoking, obesity and physical activity on the risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Finnish men and women. J Intern Med. 2005 Oct;258(4):356-62. 
- Ratner RE. Type 2 diabetes mellitus: the grand overview. Diabet Med. 1998;15 Suppl 4:S4-7.