Adrenal Tumor Underlying Cause
Cortisol is a hormone that is produced by the adrenal gland.
The important functions of cortisol include:
- Assisting the body in its response to stress
- Carbohydrate and fat metabolism
- Helping balance the effects of insulin in breaking down sugar for energy
- Helping the immune system's response
- Maintaining blood pressure
- Regulation of protein
Causes of Cushing's syndrome include:
Continue to Adrenal Tumor Anatomy
- Findling JW, Raff H. Screening and diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2005 Jun;34(2):385-402, ix-x. 
- Lindsay JR, Nieman LK. Differential diagnosis and imaging in Cushing's syndrome. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2005 Jun;34(2):403-21, x. 
- Morioka M, Fujii T, Matsuki T, Jo Y, Kobayashi T, Tanaka H, Ohashi T, Kondo K. Preclinical Cushing's syndrome: report of seven cases and a review of the literature. Int J Urol. 2000 Apr;7(4):126-32.