Adenocarcinoma of the Lung Cough
Home treatment of a cough in adults with adenocarcinoma of the bronchus includes:
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Do not smoke and avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Raise the head of your bed at night and sleep on your left side: this minimizes acid reflux.
- Use throat lozenges.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
Cough medication precautions:
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce your ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness. Do not take cough medication if you plan to drive or operate machinery.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Do not take cough medication if you take sedatives or medication for depression.
- Talk to your doctor before you take cough medicine if you have asthma, COPD, emphysema, heart disease or high blood pressure.
Continue to Adenocarcinoma of the Lung Diet
- ATS and ERS: Pretreatment evaluation of non-small-cell lung cancer. The American Thoracic Society and The European Respiratory Society. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997 Jul; 156(1): 320-32. 
- Botta DM, Head HD: Non-small cell lung cancer: an update. Curr Surg 2003 Sep-Oct; 60(5): 492-8. 
- Landis SH, Murray T, Bolden S, Wingo PA: Cancer statistics, 1999. CA Cancer J Clin 1999 Jan-Feb; 49(1): 8-31, 1. 
- Travis WD, Lubin J, Ries L, Devesa S: United States lung carcinoma incidence trends: declining for most histologic types among males, increasing among females. Cancer 1996 Jun 15; 77(12): 2464-70.