Adenocarcinoma of the Bronchus Types
Two types of adenocarcinoma occur in the lung:
- Adenocarcinoma of the bronchus:
- Made up of cells that line the air passageways
- Bronchioalveolar cell carcinoma:
- Made up of cells within other tissues of the lung
Adenocarcinoma of the bronchus is the most common type of lung cancer in women, and in those who do not smoke. Squamous cell carcinoma of the lung is the most common type of lung cancer seen in men, and in those who smoke.
Continue to Adenocarcinoma of the Bronchus Anatomy
- ATS and ERS: Pretreatment evaluation of non-small-cell lung cancer. The American Thoracic Society and The European Respiratory Society. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997 Jul; 156(1): 320-32. 
- Botta DM, Head HD: Non-small cell lung cancer: an update. Curr Surg 2003 Sep-Oct; 60(5): 492-8. 
- Landis SH, Murray T, Bolden S, Wingo PA: Cancer statistics, 1999. CA Cancer J Clin 1999 Jan-Feb; 49(1): 8-31, 1. 
- Travis WD, Lubin J, Ries L, Devesa S: United States lung carcinoma incidence trends: declining for most histologic types among males, increasing among females. Cancer 1996 Jun 15; 77(12): 2464-70.