Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care anorexia diet pain in adults pain in children side effects taking control warning signs Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Types Anatomy
Acute Myelogenous Leukemia Side Effects
- Avoid stomach irritants such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Avoid exposure to unpleasant odors.
- Drink cool beverages throughout the day. Try un-sweetened tea or flat sodas.
- Don't force yourself to eat at standard times. Eat when you are hungry instead.
- Concentrate on eating a healthy diet. Avoid junk foods.
- Eat more frequent, smaller meals.
- Relax in comfortable clothes after meals, but don't lie flat.
- Try relaxation techniques such as meditation.
- Ask your doctor or nutritionist about liquid dietary supplements.
- Ask your doctor about acupressure or acupuncture.
- Ask your doctor if any medications you may be taking can cause nausea or vomiting.
- Take any prescribed medications as directed. Medications used for nausea and vomiting due to chemotherapy include:
Irritation of the lining of the mouth and intestinal tract is called mucositis. Home care measures for mucositis include:
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid hot, spicy and irritating foods.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Maintain good oral and dental hygiene with daily brushing, flossing and regular visits to your dentist.
- Try a soft diet.
- Try Chloraseptic or Cepacol spray, gargles or lozenges.
- Try Orabase B or Oral Balance topical dental paste.
- Try rinsing your mouth or gargling several times a day with a solution of one of the following:
- Salt water
- Baking soda
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) elixir or lozenges
- Dilute chlorhexidine (Peridex or Periogard) solution
- Dilute milk of magnesia or Maalox
- Use any prescribed medications for mucositis as directed. These may include:
Continue to Acute Myelogenous Leukemia Taking Control
PubMed Acute Myelogenous Leukemia References
- Aul C, Giagounidis A, Germing U, Ganser A. Evaluating the prognosis of patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Ann Hematol. 2002 Sep;81(9):485-97. 
- Lowenberg B, Downing JR, Burnett A. Acute myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med. 1999 Sep 30;341(14):1051-62. 
- Niemeyer CM, Kratz C. Juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2003 Jun;4(3):203-10.