Acute Coronary Syndrome Long-Term Care
The long term care of coronary syndrome depends on severity. Acute coronary syndrome describes a group of conditions that result from diseased coronary arteries.
- Unstable angina: symptoms that occur when the heart is under stress, but the heart muscle is not damaged
- Heart attack that causes changes on the EKG
- Heart attack that does not cause findings on an EKG, but is identified by blood testing.
|Angina Severity||Treatment Options|
|Stable / mild or moderate||Control of cardiac risk factors; drug therapy|
|Unstable / mild to moderate||Hospitalization; control of cardiac risk factors; drug therapy|
|Unstable / severe symptoms||Drug treatment; angioplasty; coronary artery bypass grafting|
The long-term treatment of coronary artery disease and angina may include:
Continue to Acute Coronary Syndrome Questions For Doctor
- Achar SA, Kundu S, Norcross WA. Diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 1;72(1):119-26. 
- Brown TL, Merrill J, Hill P, Bengel FM. Relationship of coronary calcium and myocardial perfusion in individuals with chest pain. Assessed by integrated rubidium-82 PET-CT. Nuklearmedizin. 2008;47(6):255-260. 
- Mattu A, Petrini J, Swencki S, Chaudhari C, Brady WJ. Premature atherosclerosis and acute coronary syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Emerg Med. 2005 Sep;23(5):696-703. 
- Moriel M, Behar S, Tzivoni D, Hod H, Boyko V, Gottlieb S. Management and outcomes of elderly women and men with acute coronary syndromes in 2000 and 2002. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Jul 11;165(13):1521-6. 
- Ofili E. Acute coronary syndrome in women. J Fam Pract. 2005 Jul;Suppl:6-7. 
- Perers E, Caidahl K, Herlitz J, Karlson BW, Karlsson T, Hartford M. Treatment and short-term outcome in women and men with acute coronary syndromes. Int J Cardiol. 2005 Aug 18;103(2):120-7. 
- Thuresson M, Jarlov MB, Lindahl B, Svensson L, Zedigh C, Herlitz J. Symptoms and type of symptom onset in acute coronary syndrome in relation to ST elevation, sex, age, and a history of diabetes. Am Heart J. 2005 Aug;150(2):234-42. 
- Wallentin L. Prevention of cardiovascular events after acute coronary syndrome. Semin Vasc Med. 2005 Aug;5(3):293-300. 
- Yilmaz H, Basarici I. Troponin levels and acute coronary syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Aug 16;46(4):741.