Acute Coronary Syndrome Diet
Dietary guidelines for the prevention of heart disease include:
- Limit your intake of fat to 30% of your total calories.
- 10% to 15% of your total calories should be in the form of monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil, canola oil and peanut oil.
- Consume only unsaturated fats that are low in cholesterol.
- Consume less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol a day.
- Consume less than 3,000 mg of salt per day. Consume less than 2,000 mg of salt per day if you have high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease or congestive heart failure.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Avoid red meat.
- Avoid fad diets.
- Talk to your doctor about B vitamin supplements.
- Consume more fiber. Sources include:
- Whole grains
- Brown rice
Continue to Acute Coronary Syndrome Outlook
- Achar SA, Kundu S, Norcross WA. Diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 1;72(1):119-26. 
- Brown TL, Merrill J, Hill P, Bengel FM. Relationship of coronary calcium and myocardial perfusion in individuals with chest pain. Assessed by integrated rubidium-82 PET-CT. Nuklearmedizin. 2008;47(6):255-260. 
- Mattu A, Petrini J, Swencki S, Chaudhari C, Brady WJ. Premature atherosclerosis and acute coronary syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Emerg Med. 2005 Sep;23(5):696-703. 
- Moriel M, Behar S, Tzivoni D, Hod H, Boyko V, Gottlieb S. Management and outcomes of elderly women and men with acute coronary syndromes in 2000 and 2002. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Jul 11;165(13):1521-6. 
- Ofili E. Acute coronary syndrome in women. J Fam Pract. 2005 Jul;Suppl:6-7. 
- Perers E, Caidahl K, Herlitz J, Karlson BW, Karlsson T, Hartford M. Treatment and short-term outcome in women and men with acute coronary syndromes. Int J Cardiol. 2005 Aug 18;103(2):120-7. 
- Thuresson M, Jarlov MB, Lindahl B, Svensson L, Zedigh C, Herlitz J. Symptoms and type of symptom onset in acute coronary syndrome in relation to ST elevation, sex, age, and a history of diabetes. Am Heart J. 2005 Aug;150(2):234-42. 
- Wallentin L. Prevention of cardiovascular events after acute coronary syndrome. Semin Vasc Med. 2005 Aug;5(3):293-300. 
- Yilmaz H, Basarici I. Troponin levels and acute coronary syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Aug 16;46(4):741.