Acute Cholecystitis Diet
It is important to follow a healthy diet if you have gallbladder disease.
Strategies for a healthy diet include:
- Limit your intake of fat to 30% of your total calories.
- 10% to 15% of your total calories should be in the form of monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil, canola oil and peanut oil.
- Consume only unsaturated fats that are low in cholesterol.
- Consume less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol a day.
- Eat dietary fiber: whole grains are best.
- Avoid fad diets.
- Check with your doctor about B vitamin supplements. Some people may benefit from B vitamins.
Key Dietary Recommendations for Chronic Disease Prevention
|Energy (calories)||to maintain BMI < 25|
|Total fats||< or = to 30% of total daily calories|
|Saturated fats||< 7% of total daily calories|
|Polyunsaturated fats||< 10% of total daily calories|
|Monounsaturated fats||< 13% of total daily calories|
|Cholesterol||< or = to 300 mg per day|
|Dietary fiber||25-30 grams per day|
|Fiber type||3:1 insoluble to soluble fiber|
|Sodium||< or = to 1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 9-24 yrs||1,200-1,500 mg per day|
|Calcium 25-50 yrs||1,000 mg per day|
|Calcium 51-65 yrs||1,200 mg per day|
|Calcium >65 yrs||1,500 mg per day|
|Vitamin D 9-50 yrs||200 IU per day|
|Vitamin D 51-70 yrs||400 IU per day|
|Vitamin D >70 yrs||600 IU per day|
|Folic acid||400 micrograms (ug) per day|
|Fruits & vegetables||5-7 servings per day|
|Alcohol (men)||< or = to 2 drinks per day|
|Alcohol (women)||< or = to 1 drink per day|
Continue to Acute Cholecystitis Pain
- Ahmed A, Cheung RC, Keeffe EB. Management of gallstones and their complications. Am Fam Physician. 2000 Mar 15;61(6):1673-80, 1687-8. 
- Bartlett DL. Gallbladder cancer. Semin Surg Oncol. 2000 Sep-Oct;19(2):145-55. 
- Cirillo DJ, Wallace RB, Rodabough RJ, Greenland P, LaCroix AZ, Limacher MC, Larson JC. Effect of estrogen therapy on gallbladder disease. JAMA. 2005 Jan 19;293(3):330-9. 
- Fernandez M, Csendes A, Yarmuch J, Diaz H, Silva J. Management of common bile duct stones: the state of the art in 2000. Int Surg. 2003 Jul-Sep;88(3):159-63. 
- Glasgow RE, Cho M, Hutter MM, Mulvihill SJ. The spectrum and cost of complicated gallstone disease in California. Arch Surg. 2000 Sep;135(9):1021-5; discussion 1025-7. 
- Majeski J. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in geriatric patients. Am J Surg. 2004 Jun;187(6):747-50.