Acute Appendicitis Surgery
Surgery to remove the appendix is called an appendectomy.
The two types of appendectomy include:
- Open appendectomy:
- An incision is made in the right lower abdomen and the appendix is removed through the incision.
- Laparoscopic appendectomy:
The laparoscope cannot be used if the surgeon suspects that the appendix has ruptured.
Continue to Acute Appendicitis Warning Signs
- Alloo J, Gerstle T, Shilyansky J, Ein SH. Appendicitis in children less than 3 years of age. Pediatr Surg Int. 2004 Jan;19(12):777-9. 
- Andersson RE. Meta-analysis of the clinical and laboratory diagnosis of appendicitis. Br J Surg. 2004 Jan;91(1):28-37. 
- Hagendorf BA, Clarke JR, Burd RS. The optimal initial management of children with suspected appendicitis: a decision analysis. J Pediatr Surg. 2004 Jun;39(6):880-5. 
- Shelton T, McKinlay R, Schwartz RW. Acute appendicitis: current diagnosis and treatment. Curr Surg. 2003 Sep-Oct;60(5):502-5.