Actinomycosis Cough in Children
Home treatment of a cough in children with actinomycosis includes:
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Use throat lozenges, but do not use them in children under 5 years of age.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
|Childs Weight||Dextromethorphan Dose|
|22 lb (10 kg)||5 mg every 8 hrs|
|33 lb (15 kg)||7.5 mg every 8 hrs|
|44 lb (20 kg)||10 mg every 8 hrs|
|55 lb (25 kg)||12.5 mg every 8 hrs|
|66 lb (30 kg)||15 mg every 8 hrs|
|88 lb (40 kg)||20 mg every 8 hrs|
|110 lb (50 kg)||25 mg every 8 hrs|
|132 lb-adult (60 kg)||30 mg every 8 hrs|
Cough medication precautions:
- Contact your doctor before using cough medicine in a child less than 6 years old.
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce the child's ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness.
- Talk to the doctor before you give cough medicine to a child who has asthma, lung disease, heart disease or kidney disease.
Continue to Actinomycosis Pain and Fever Adults
- Felz MW, Smith MR. Disseminated actinomycosis: multisystem mimicry in primary care. South Med J. 2003 Mar;96(3):294-9. 
- Funke G, von Graevenitz A: Infections due to Actinomyces neuii (former "CDC coryneform group 1" bacteria). Infection 1995 Mar-Apr; 23(2): 73-5. 
- Smego RA Jr, Foglia G: Actinomycosis. Clin Infect Dis 1998 Jun; 26(6): 1255-61. 
- Sudhakar SS, Ross JJ. Short-term treatment of actinomycosis: two cases and aClin Infect Dis. 2004 Feb 1;38(3):444-7.