What to expect with acute coronary syndrome:
- About 10 percent of people with angina will have a heart attack at a later date.
- About one third of those who suffer a heart attack die. The majority of deaths occur before the victim reaches the hospital.
- More than 90 percent of those who make it to the hospital during a heart attack will survive.
- About 88 percent of heart attack survivors under age 65 return to work within three months.
- About 25 percent of men die within a year after a heart attack.
- About 38 percent of women die within a year after a heart attack.
- Within 6 years of a heart attack:
Continue to ACS Complications
- Achar SA, Kundu S, Norcross WA. Diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 1;72(1):119-26. 
- Brown TL, Merrill J, Hill P, Bengel FM. Relationship of coronary calcium and myocardial perfusion in individuals with chest pain. Assessed by integrated rubidium-82 PET-CT. Nuklearmedizin. 2008;47(6):255-260. 
- Mattu A, Petrini J, Swencki S, Chaudhari C, Brady WJ. Premature atherosclerosis and acute coronary syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Emerg Med. 2005 Sep;23(5):696-703. 
- Moriel M, Behar S, Tzivoni D, Hod H, Boyko V, Gottlieb S. Management and outcomes of elderly women and men with acute coronary syndromes in 2000 and 2002. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Jul 11;165(13):1521-6. 
- Ofili E. Acute coronary syndrome in women. J Fam Pract. 2005 Jul;Suppl:6-7. 
- Perers E, Caidahl K, Herlitz J, Karlson BW, Karlsson T, Hartford M. Treatment and short-term outcome in women and men with acute coronary syndromes. Int J Cardiol. 2005 Aug 18;103(2):120-7. 
- Thuresson M, Jarlov MB, Lindahl B, Svensson L, Zedigh C, Herlitz J. Symptoms and type of symptom onset in acute coronary syndrome in relation to ST elevation, sex, age, and a history of diabetes. Am Heart J. 2005 Aug;150(2):234-42. 
- Wallentin L. Prevention of cardiovascular events after acute coronary syndrome. Semin Vasc Med. 2005 Aug;5(3):293-300. 
- Yilmaz H, Basarici I. Troponin levels and acute coronary syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Aug 16;46(4):741.