Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment cystic acne dermabrasion drugs antibiotics benzoyl peroxide birth control pills drying agents laser questions for doctor specialist surgery Home Care taking control warning signs Underlying Cause Anatomy
Acne Vulgaris Underlying Cause
- Overgrowth of the skin cells that line the skin pores, which plugs the pore
- Overproduction of skin oils, which also plug the pores
- Overgrowth of the bacterium, Propionibacterium acnes
- Inflammation of the skin
These factors cause the formation of the swollen whiteheads, blackheads and cysts in the skin.
Continue to Acne Vulgaris Anatomy
PubMed Acne Vulgaris References
- James WD. Clinical practice. Acne. N Engl J Med. 2005 Apr 7;352(14):1463-72. 
- Magin P, Pond D, Smith W, Watson A. A systematic review of the evidence for 'myths and misconceptions' in acne management: diet, face-washing and sunlight. Fam Pract. 2005 Feb;22(1):62-70. 
- Marks R. Acne and its management beyond the age of 35 years. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2004;5(6):459-62.