Aching Lower Back Anatomy
To better understand lower back pain, it helps to understand the anatomy of the spine and lower back.
The back includes the spine and the structures that surround the spine. The spine is an upright row of stacked bones, called the vertebral column. Individual bones of the spine are called vertebrae. The lower vertebral column starts under the rib cage and continues to the buttocks.
Bones of the lower spine:
The front of each vertebra is a round, solid cylinder of bone. Between each pair of vertebrae, a disk attaches to the bottom of the vertebra above it, and to the top of the vertebrae below it. The discs act as rubber cushions between the vertebrae. In addition, strong ligaments and muscles hold the vertebral column together. All of these structures support, surround, and protect the spinal cord.
Anatomy of the vertebrae, disks and muscles:
The back of each vertebra is an open ring of bone. Because the vertebrae are stacked on top of one another, the open rings form a tube that surrounds the spinal cord. The spinal cord is a thick bundle of nerves that starts at the bottom of the brain and continues down the spine. The spinal cord carries messages between the body and the brain. Nerves branch off of the spinal cord between each of vertebrae.
Anatomy of the disks, nerves, and spinal cord:
- Andersson GB: Epidemiological features of chronic low-back pain. Lancet 1999 Aug 14; 354(9178): 581-5. 
- Coste J, Delecoeuillerie G, et al: Clinical course and prognostic factors in acute low back pain: an inception cohort study in primary care practice. BMJ 1994 Feb 26; 308(6928): 577-80. 
- Hayden J, Tulder M, Malmivaara A, Koes B. Exercise therapy for treatment of non-specific low back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Jul 20;(3):CD000335. 
- King HA. Back pain in children. Orthop Clin North Am. 1999 Jul;30(3):467-74, ix. 
- Lampert BA. Interventional treatment of low back pain. Mo Med. 2007 Nov-Dec;104(6):496-500; quiz 500-1. 
- Marriott A, Newman NM, et al: Improving the evaluation of benign low back pain. Spine 1999 May 15; 24(10): 952-60. 
- Nguyen TH, Randolph DC. Nonspecific low back pain and return to work. Am Fam Physician. 2007 Nov 15;76(10):1497-502. 
- van Tulder MW, Koes BW, Bouter LM: Conservative treatment of acute and chronic nonspecific low back pain. A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of the most common interventions. Spine 1997 Sep 15; 22(18): 2128-56.