Facts about achalasia include:
- Achalasia is an uncommon condition.
- Achalasia occurs most often in persons between the ages of 20 and 40.
- Achalasia usually develops very slowly over many years.
Continue to Achalasia Symptoms
- Garofalo JH, Pofahl WE. Achalasia: a brief review of treatment options and efficacy. Curr Surg. 2002 Nov-Dec;59(6):549-53. 
- Nguyen NQ, Holloway RH. Recent developments in esophageal motor disorders. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2005 Jul;21(4):478-84. 
- Woltman TA, Pellegrini CA, Oelschlager BK. Achalasia. Surg Clin North Am. 2005 Jun;85(3):483-93.