Overview Incidence Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care liquid diet vomiting warning signs Complications Underlying Cause Anatomy
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea. Sports drinks are best. The absence of food allows the intestines to rest.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently. In general, two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes is an effective strategy.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues despite the above, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
Continue to Achalasia Warning Signs
PubMed Achalasia References
- Garofalo JH, Pofahl WE. Achalasia: a brief review of treatment options and efficacy. Curr Surg. 2002 Nov-Dec;59(6):549-53. 
- Nguyen NQ, Holloway RH. Recent developments in esophageal motor disorders. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2005 Jul;21(4):478-84. 
- Woltman TA, Pellegrini CA, Oelschlager BK. Achalasia. Surg Clin North Am. 2005 Jun;85(3):483-93.