Abused Spouse Evaluation
Evaluation of domestic abuse begins with a complete history and physical examination. Important information is frequently provided by family members.
Physical findings are present in those victims of domestic abuse who are physically abused or neglected. The lack of physical evidence for injuries does not exclude abuse.
Abused Spouse Physical Findings
Physical findings in victims of domestic abuse include:
Signs of previous injury are common in domestic abuse:
- Healed fractures
- Usually detected on skeletal x-rays
- Partial loss of sight or hearing
Continue to Abused Spouse Treatment
- Director TD, Linden JA. Domestic violence: an approach to identification and intervention. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;22(4):1117-32. 
- Tolan P, Gorman-Smith D, Henry D. Family Violence. Annu Rev Psychol. 2005 Aug 31. 
- Worden AP, Carlson BE. Attitudes and Beliefs About Domestic Violence: Results of a Public Opinion Survey: II. Beliefs About Causes. J Interpers Violence. 2005 Oct;20(10):1219-43. 
- Yost NP, Bloom SL, McIntire DD, Leveno KJ. A prospective observational study of domestic violence during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2005 Jul;106(1):61-5.