Abuse Elderly Overview
Another name for Abuse Elderly is Elder Abuse.
What is elder abuse?
A person who commits elder abuse displays behavior or takes actions that cause physical or emotional damage to an elderly person. Elder abuse includes physical abuse, sexual abuse, psychological abuse and neglect.
What are the symptoms of elder abuse?
Abusers may be friends, family members, or caregivers. Signs and symptoms of elder abuse are often present in both the abused person and the abuser.
How does the doctor treat elder abuse?
Treatment for elder abuse includes identifying the abuse, social services intervention, and a complete medical evaluation.
Continue to Abuse Elderly Incidence
- Director TD, Linden JA. Domestic violence: an approach to identification and intervention. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;22(4):1117-32. 
- Hardin E, Khan-Hudson A. Elder abuse--"society's dilemma". J Natl Med Assoc. 2005 Jan;97(1):91-4. 
- McIntire T. Elder abuse litigation and the duty to provide palliative care. Physician Exec. 2004 Nov-Dec;30(6):44-9. 
- Quinn K, Zielke H. Elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation: policy issues. Clin Geriatr Med. 2005 May;21(2):449-57. 
- Tolan P, Gorman-Smith D, Henry D. Family Violence. Annu Rev Psychol. 2005 Aug 31.