Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms neglect physical abuse sexual abuse Evaluation clues of abuse munchausen-by-proxy physical findings sexual abuse shaken baby syndrome Treatment Warning Signs Types
Abuse Child Types
Five major types of child abuse include:
- Emotional abuse:
- Destructive emotional responses to the child's emotions from the caregiver
- Psychological abuse:
- Destructive caregiver behavior that damages the mental functions of a child
- Physical abuse:
- Non-accidental injury to a child caused by an adult, including physical punishment.
- Sexual abuse:
- An interaction in which the child is sexually exploited.
- The caregiver fails to meet the basic needs of a child.
PubMed Abuse Child References
- Dubowitz H, Pitts SC, Litrownik AJ, Cox CE, Runyan D, Black MM. Defining child neglect based on child protective services data. Child Abuse Negl. 2005 May;29(5):493-511. 
- Ledbetter EO. An ethical approach to intervention/prevention of child maltreatment. Adv Pediatr. 2003;50:215-29. 
- Tenney-Soeiro R, Wilson C. An update on child abuse and neglect. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2004 Apr;16(2):233-7. 
- Tolan P, Gorman-Smith D, Henry D. Family Violence. Annu Rev Psychol. 2005 Aug 31.