Absent Menstrual Periods Treatment
The treatment for amenorrhea depends on the underlying cause. Treatment may involve making changes in your lifestyle, depending on your body weight, your physical activity, or levels of stress. You may also require medications to treat abnormal hormone levels.
Treatment for amenorrhea may include:
- Weight loss for obesity
- Regular exercise program
- Increase body weight for those who are underweight.
- High calorie diet
- Reduce exercise intensity:
- For female athletes that perform intense exercise and have a low amount of body fat
- Hormone replacement therapy:
- Medications for a pituitary adenoma
- Surgery for amenorrhea:
- In rare cases, surgery may be required to repair abnormalities of the vagina or cervix.
Absent Menstrual Periods Specialist
Continue to Absent Menstrual Periods Home Care
- Goodman LR, Warren MP. The female athlete and menstrual function. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2005 Oct;17(5):466-70. 
- Hoffman B, Bradshaw KD. Delayed puberty and amenorrhea. Semin Reprod Med. 2003 Nov;21(4):353-62. 
- Timmreck LS, Reindollar RH. Contemporary issues in primary amenorrhea. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2003 Jun;30(2):287-302. 
- Van der Wijden C, Kleijnen J, Van den Berk T. Lactational amenorrhea for family planning. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(4):CD001329.