Abscess Retropharyngeal Treatment
- Oxygen therapy:
- Used when the airway is narrowed by the abscess
- Intravenous fluids
- Antibiotics for retropharyngeal abscess:
- Clindamycin (Cleocin)
- Cefoxitin (Mefoxin)
- Ticarcillin and clavulanate (Timentin)
- Piperacillin and tazobactam (Zosyn)
- Ampicillin and sulbactam (Unasyn)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
- Surgery for retropharyngeal abscess:
Abscess Retropharyngeal Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment for a retropharyngeal abscess.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Will I need surgery?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How do I avoid passing the infection to others?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Abscess Retropharyngeal Specialist
Continue to Abscess Retropharyngeal Home Care
- Al-Sabah B, Bin Salleen H, Hagr A, Choi-Rosen J, Manoukian JJ, Tewfik TL. Retropharyngeal abscess in children: 10-year study. J Otolaryngol. 2004 Dec;33(6):352-5. 
- Craig FW, Schunk JE. Retropharyngeal abscess in children: clinical presentation, utility of imaging, and current management. Pediatrics. 2003 Jun;111(6 Pt 1):1394-8. 
- Philpott CM, Selvadurai D, Banerjee AR. Paediatric retropharyngeal abscess. J Laryngol Otol. 2004 Dec;118(12):919-26.