Abnormal Appearance of Stool Treatment
The treatment for abnormal appearing stool depends on the underlying cause. Abnormal stool caused by malabsorption, celiac sprue, or Crohn's disease may include medication and special diets. Treatment for abnormal stool caused by bleeding in the stomach or intestine may require medication and surgery.
Treatment for abnormal appearing stool may include:
- Change in diet
- Drink 1-2 quarts (1-2 liters) of water a day.
- Eat a high fiber diet:
- Take 2-4 grams of a fiber supplement each day.
For more information:
Abnormal Appearance of Stool Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat abnormal appearing stool:
Continue to Abnormal Appearance of Stool Home Care
- Crofts DJ, Michel VJ, Rigby AS, Tanner MS, Hall DM, Bonham JR. Assessment of stool colour in community management of prolonged jaundice in infancy. Acta Paediatr. 1999 Sep;88(9):969-74. 
- King TS, Elia M, Hunter JO. Abnormal colonic fermentation in irritable bowel syndrome. Lancet. 1998 Oct 10;352(9135):1187-9. 
- Ouyang DL, Chen JJ, Getzenberg RH, Schoen RE. Noninvasive testing for colorectal cancer: Am J Gastroenterol. 2005 Jun;100(6):1393-403.