Abnormal Anxiety Benzodiazepines
The benzodiazepine medications are very effective for the treatment of anxiety disorder. Benzodiazepines tend to slow the activity of the brain. Because these medications can be habit-forming, they are best for the short-term treatment of acute anxiety. Prolonged use can result in drug dependency. Stopping these medications abruptly after a period of long-term use can result in serious withdrawal symptoms, including seizures.
Benzodiazepine medications are divided into two main groups, short acting and long acting.
Short acting benzodiazepines:
Long acting benzodiazepines:
Continue to Abnormal Anxiety Beta-Blockers
- Bernstein GA, Shaw K: Practice parameters for the assessment of children and adolescents with anxiety disorders. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1997; 36 (10 Suppl): 69S-84S. 
- Christmas DM, Hood SD. Recent developments in anxiety disorders. Recent Patents CNS Drug Discov. 2006 Nov;1(3):289-98. Review. 
- Denys D, de Geus F. Predictors of pharmacotherapy response in anxiety disorders. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2005 Aug;7(4):252-7. 
- Gale C, Oakley-Browne M. Generalised anxiety disorder. Clin Evid. 2004 Jun;(11):1302-18. 
- Michael Kaplan E, DuPont RL. Benzodiazepines and anxiety disorders: a review for the practicing physician. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Jun;21(6):941-50.