Abdominal Tenderness Types
Tenderness that is located in one area of the abdomen can provide an important clue to the underlying cause:
- Tenderness in the right upper abdomen
- Tenderness in the left upper abdomen
- Tenderness in the right lower abdomen
- Tenderness in the left lower abdomen
The combination of abdominal pain and abdominal tenderness increases the risk for a significant underlying illness. Many conditions cause abdominal pain, but few conditions also cause abdominal tenderness.
Other important features of abdominal tenderness include:
Continue to Abdominal Tenderness Anatomy
- Bundy DG, Byerley JS, Liles EA, Perrin EM, Katznelson J, Rice HE. Does this child have appendicitis? JAMA. 2007 Jul 25;298(4):438-51. 
- Flasar MH, Goldberg E. Med Clin North Am. 2006 May;90(3):481-503. 
- Lyon C, Clark DC. Diagnosis of acute abdominal pain in older patients. Am Fam Physician. 2006 Nov 1;74(9):1537-44. 
- McCollough M, Sharieff GQ. Abdominal pain in children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006 Feb;53(1):107-37, vi.