Abdominal Pain Overview
What is abdominal pain?
A person with abdominal pain has discomfort in the abdomen. The location of the pain within the abdomen can be an important clue in determining the underlying cause. Pain located in one area of the abdomen may be more serious than pain in the entire abdomen.
What are the symptoms of abdominal pain?
Important features of abdominal pain include pain severity, character, timing, location, and the presence of associated symptoms. Symptoms that often occur with abdominal pain include back pain, chest pain, constipation, diarrhea, cough, breathing difficulty, fever, nausea, and vomiting.
How does the doctor treat abdominal pain?
The treatment for abdominal pain depends on the underlying cause for the pain. Some conditions can be treated with antacids or other medications. Serious causes of abdominal pain may require antibiotics or surgery.
Continue to Abdominal Pain Incidence
- Flasar MH, Goldberg E. Acute abdominal pain. Med Clin North Am. 2006 May;90(3):481-503. 
- Holten KB, Wetherington A, Bankston L. Diagnosing the patient with abdominal pain and altered bowel habits: is it irritable bowel syndrome? Am Fam Physician. 2003 May 15;67(10):2157-62. 
- Jones PF. Suspected acute appendicitis: trends in management over 30 years. Br J Surg. 2001 Dec;88(12):1570-7. 
- Lozeau AM, Potter B. Diagnosis and management of ectopic pregnancy. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Nov 1;72(9):1707-14. 
- Macari M, Balthazar EJ. The acute right lower quadrant: CT evaluation.Radiol Clin North Am. 2003 Nov;41(6):1117-36. 
- McCollough M, Sharieff GQ. Abdominal pain in children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006 Feb;53(1):107-37, vi. 
- Nagurney JT, Brown DF, Chang Y, Sane S, Wang AC, Weiner JB. Use of diagnostic testing in the emergency department for patients presenting with non-traumatic abdominal pain. J Emerg Med. 2003 Nov;25(4):363-71. 
- Old JL, Dusing RW, Yap W, Dirks J. Imaging for suspected appendicitis. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jan 1;71(1):71-8. Review. 
- Olden KW. Diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2002 May;122(6):1701-14.
- Warren O, Kinross J, Paraskeva P, Darzi A. Emergency laparoscopy - current best practice. World J Emerg Surg. 2006 Aug 31;1(1):24