Abdominal Pain Left Lower Overview
Another name for Abdominal Pain Left Lower is Left Lower Abdominal Pain.
What is left lower abdominal pain?
A person with left lower abdominal pain has discomfort in the left, lower part of the abdomen, below the umbilicus. Common causes of left lower abdominal pain in adults include constipation, diverticulitis, hernia, irritable bowel syndrome, and kidney stones.
What are the symptoms of left lower abdominal pain?
Symptoms that can occur with left lower abdominal pain include abdominal swelling, excessive gas, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and loss of appetite. Left lower abdominal pain may spread to the groin or back.
How does the doctor treat left lower abdominal pain?
Treatment for left lower abdominal pain depends on the underlying cause. Serious causes of left lower abdominal pain may require antibiotics or surgery.
Continue to Abdominal Pain Left Lower Underlying Cause
- Flasar MH, Goldberg E. Acute abdominal pain. Med Clin North Am. 2006 May;90(3):481-503. 
- Holten KB, Wetherington A, Bankston L. Diagnosing the patient with abdominal pain and altered bowel habits: is it irritable bowel syndrome? Am Fam Physician. 2003 May 15;67(10):2157-62. 
- Jones PF. Suspected acute appendicitis: trends in management over 30 years. Br J Surg. 2001 Dec;88(12):1570-7. 
- Lozeau AM, Potter B. Diagnosis and management of ectopic pregnancy. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Nov 1;72(9):1707-14. 
- Macari M, Balthazar EJ. The acute right lower quadrant: CT evaluation.Radiol Clin North Am. 2003 Nov;41(6):1117-36. 
- McCollough M, Sharieff GQ. Abdominal pain in children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006 Feb;53(1):107-37, vi. 
- Nagurney JT, Brown DF, Chang Y, Sane S, Wang AC, Weiner JB. Use of diagnostic testing in the emergency department for patients presenting with non-traumatic abdominal pain. J Emerg Med. 2003 Nov;25(4):363-71. 
- Old JL, Dusing RW, Yap W, Dirks J. Imaging for suspected appendicitis. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jan 1;71(1):71-8. Review. 
- Olden KW. Diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2002 May;122(6):1701-14.
- Warren O, Kinross J, Paraskeva P, Darzi A. Emergency laparoscopy - current best practice. World J Emerg Surg. 2006 Aug 31;1(1):24