Abdominal Pain in Children Overview
What is abdominal pain in children?
A child with abdominal pain has discomfort in the abdomen. The location of the pain within the abdomen can be an important clue in determining the underlying cause. Pain located in one area of the abdomen may be more serious than pain in the entire abdomen.
What are the symptoms of abdominal pain in children?
Important features of abdominal pain in children include pain severity, character, timing, location, and the presence of associated symptoms. Symptoms that often occur with abdominal pain in children include back pain, chest pain, constipation, diarrhea, cough, breathing difficulty, fever, pain during urination, nausea, and vomiting.
How does the doctor treat abdominal pain in children?
It depends on the underlying cause for the abdominal pain. Some conditions can be treated with antacids or other medications. More serious causes for abdominal pain may require surgery.
Continue to Abdominal Pain in Children Incidence
- American Academy of Pediatrics Subcommittee on Chronic Abdominal Pain; North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology, and Nutrition. Chronic abdominal pain in children. Pediatrics. 2005 Mar;115(3):e370-81. Review. 
- Flasar MH, Goldberg E. Acute abdominal pain. Med Clin North Am. 2006 May;90(3):481-503. Review. 
- Hyman PE, Milla PJ, Benninga MA, Davidson GP, Fleisher DF, Taminiau J. Childhood functional gastrointestinal disorders: neonate/toddler. Gastroenterology. 2006 Apr;130(5):1519-26. Review. 
- Kaiser S, Finnbogason T, Jorulf HK, et al: Suspected appendicitis in children: diagnosis with contrast-enhanced versus nonenhanced Helical CT. Radiology 2004 May; 231(2): 427-33. 
- Lanning DA, Thomas RL, Rood KD, Klein MD. Using quantitative methods to improve the diagnostic workup for abdominal pain in children. J Pediatr Surg. 2005 Jun;40(6):949-53. 
- McCollough M, Sharieff GQ. Abdominal pain in children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006 Feb;53(1):107-37, vi. Review.
- Nagurney JT, Brown DF, Chang Y, Sane S, Wang AC, Weiner JB. Use of diagnostic testing in the emergency department for patients presenting with non-traumatic abdominal pain. J Emerg Med. 2003 Nov;25(4):363-71. 
- Warren O, Kinross J, Paraskeva P, Darzi A. Emergency laparoscopy - current best practice. World J Emerg Surg. 2006 Aug 31;1(1):24